Teachers spend so much money in their classrooms each year that they often have to push their personal travel plans throughout the year on the back burner. Thankfully, there are several businesses/companies that offer discounts for teachers to help plan budget conscience trips anytime during the year. With so many schools moving to year round schedules, this is great for the intersession breaks, as well as the summer break, Christmas breaks, and Spring Break! Sometimes it is beneficial to be an NEA or AFT member, but often you can just show your teacher ID to get a great discount!
- Attractions- Always, always, always ask for a discount at ANY attraction. The majority of attractions give teacher discounts. You just need to show your teacher ID. This is not limited to local attractions but theme parks, museums, zoos and many other places, often give a teacher discount. Make sure that you also ask about a teacher discount at any of the gift stores at those attractions, too.
- Car Rentals- Teachers receive 5%-35% discount on car rentals. When looking for a car rental, I always look for codes online and I also make sure I call to let them know I am an educator. Compare the prices to see which is cheapest for you. While it is always easier to book online, sometimes you can get a better discount by calling and talking to a person. Explore all your options.
- Hotels- You know when you are searching for a hotel room, the options on the side for special rates- military, AAA, government, senior? Teachers qualify for the government rates because they are government employees. Be sure to check with the hotel to make sure you qualify for that rate but 9 times out of 10, hotel chains gladly give teachers this discount!
- Cruises- Register for Vacations to Go and find the greatest deals on last minute cruises! Also, be sure to call the cruise companies to see about any discounts for teachers. Sometimes these discounts are comparable to military discounts. Be sure to do your research and since cruises include your food, these can be a great inexpensive vacation.
- Amtrak- Teachers receive a discount with Amtrak. When checking ticket prices, I suggest calling and speaking to an agent. They can usually get you the cheapest rate possible for an educator.
Many more discounts can be had when you purchase an International Teacher Identity Card. They cost $25 but the discounts far outweigh that price and you will find many businesses except this form of identity over just your ID. Be sure to check out the benefits to see if it is something that is worthwhile for you.