I am always looking for a balance of protein and veggies in the meals I prepare. How can I possibly get in more protein, and sneak some veggies in on my unsuspecting family, or at least make it fun.
Squash is just beginning to come into season, and so when I saw the Acorn squash appear in my grocery store, I knew just what to do! I would make bowls out of the squash and let my 4 yr. old help carve out the seeds and make a “fun” little bowl! I’ve found that involve my little one makes her want to eat the end product that much more!
The trick is to make this meal fast, easy and complete. Perdue has Perfect Portion Chicken Thighs that are individually packaged, and the whole package comes with four individual packets that contain 2 thighs per pouch. That makes this recipe perfect any size family, just make one package for yourself or all of them for the whole family if needed!
I knew chicken would be perfect for addition my squash bowls, along with some rice and a few veggies. I placed them in a pan with a small amount of oil, or you could exchange is for chicken broth, (which I often do) and some deliciously aromatic spices, and allow them to cook through and brown. I cut the squash in half, my daughter and I de-seeded the middles and roasted them until fork tender. I placed ½ cup of cooked rice in each bowl, topped with chicken and Feta cheese! These were a hit! So yummy, so easy and most of all it tastes DELICIOUS! Enjoy this recipe.
- 1 package of Perdue Perfect Portions Chicken Thighs
- 2 medium sized acorn squash
- ½ cup of cooked rice per bowl
- ½ cup of feta cheese for sprinkling
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tbs of garlic powder
- 2 tsp of olive oil
- 1 tbs of brown sugar or sugar alternative
- ¼ tsp of red pepper flakes
- ¼ cup of cilantro
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Cut each squash in half and remove seeds, you can reserve seeds for roasting if you want.
- Roast for 25-30 minutes or until fork tender.
- Meanwhile in a skillet add in 2 tsp of olive oil, garlic, red pepper flakes and salt and pepper.
- Cook chicken until chicken is thoroughly cooked.
- Prepare rice according to package directions or your favorite way.
- I use a rice cooker, and we like Jasmine Rice.
- Remove acorn squash from oven and divide sugar and rub all over them.
- Place rice in the bottom, and then place chicken on top of rice.
- Top with feta cheese, and cilantro.
I’d encourage you to connect with Perdue Chicken on Facebook, Twitter and Pinterest PLUS make sure to sign up for the Perdue Crew which provides you with EXCLUSIVE access to coupons, deals and recipes! You can learn more about PERFECT PORTIONS here. Coming soon you will be able to download the eBook containing all 30 recipes for easy viewing on your computer, tablet or phone!