Around our house during summer, evenings can be just as busy as our days! The heavy pies and cakes from the winter months are great if you want to sit by the fire afterwards, but running after kids though the sprinkler after dinner demands a lighter desert. Now I LOVE lemons. They almost put a kick into your step. Going to the grocery store and grabbing a few, sometimes I even add them to my water for some natural flavor. But this particular day I really wanted something light to finish off the day.
This creamy lemon pie recipe is lighter on the calories, but still delivers tons of flavor, the crisp citrus flavors (both on the filling, and the zest around the edge) remind you of a lemon meringue pie, without an overwhelming lip-puckering tartness. As you bite into this pie, you get amazing bursts of flavor, that honestly want to make you grab a second piece.
This dish cleans the pallet and leaves you feeling refreshed and ready to enjoy the rest of the long summer evening. It would be great even during the day, when you want something sweet and tangy that really hits the spot nicely. If you love lemons, you’ll love this creamy lemon pie!
- 8 full size graham crackers, grind into crumbs
- 3 tbsp of unsalted butter, melted
- 12 oz. low fat sweetened condensed milk
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup of fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- In a bowl combine graham crackers and melted butter until completely moist.
- Pour crumbs in the bottom of your 9 inch pie plate or tart pan and press evenly to cover pan, refrigerate the crust.
- Combine condensed milk with eggs and mix until smooth, add lemon juice, vanilla and zest to mixture.
- Pour the filling into the crust and bake for fifteen minutes.
- Cool for five minutes and then refrigerate for 2 hours before serving.
- Serve with berries and whipped topping.