These wonderful, chocolaty cookies will have you raiding the cookie jar for more!
What’s better to make, than simple, delicious gluten free dark chocolate cookies? Nothing! These cookies have a firm outer shell filled with a sweet and gooey inside, the powered sugar coating will also keep the chocolate from getting all over your hands while you eat them.
Baking these cookies for ten minutes will result in a gooey center with a firm outside shell, if you want crisper cookies increase the bake time by five minutes.
- Nonstick vegetable oil spray
- 1½ cups bittersweet chocolate chips (about 9 ounces)
- 3 large egg whites, room temperature
- 2 cups powdered sugar, divided (plus ½ cup for cookie coating)
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Spray 2 large baking sheets with nonstick spray.
- Melt 1 cup chocolate chips in glass bowl in microwave, stirring twice, about 2 minutes.
- Cool slightly.
- Using electric mixer, beat whites in large bowl to soft peaks.
- Gradually beat in 1 (I halved the sugar here) cup sugar. Continue beating until mixture resembles soft marshmallow cream.
- Whisk 1 cup sugar, cocoa, cornstarch, and salt in medium bowl to blend. On low speed, add dry ingredients into meringue mixture.
- Mix lukewarm chocolate mixture and ½ cup chocolate chips (dough will become very stiff).
- Place ½ cup sugar in bowl. Roll 1 rounded tablespoon dough into ball; roll in sugar, coating thickly. Place on prepared sheet. Repeat with remaining dough, spacing 2 inches apart.
- Bake until puffed and tops crack, about 10 minutes. Cool on sheets on rack 10 minutes.
- Transfer to rack, cool.