What is better than simple classic homemade chocolate frosting? Have you ever curled up on the couch after a hard day of work and grabbed a can of frosting and a spoon and found yourself finishing it off before you know it….then regretting it? Well trust me, I had no regrets with this one. It has a beautiful texture and the way the frosting hits your palate is just perfect and silky. I’ll take that spoonful please.
I love buttercream. You’ll see many different recipes across our blog about how to make different varieties. But just like ice cream, chocolate is my absolute favorite. What’s even better is that this recipe is literally only 5 ingredients!
Trust me when I say that you will love this recipe. My 6 year old knows what I’m making before I even start mixing we make it so often. It’s fool-proof and really hits the spot, any time of year.
- 2 sticks of butter (room temperature)
- 3½ cups of powdered sugar
- ¾ of unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp of milk
- Set out your butter an hour or two before and let warm to room temperature.
- With an stand mixer (or hand stand), beat butter until pale, about 2-4 minutes
- Scrape down the bowl with a spacula to ensure butter is even
- Add vanilla and mix for 30 seconds until combined.
- Next cocoa powder, then add 3½ cups powdered sugar, one cup at a time.
- Sometimes the mixture doesn't want to combine so at this point I add 2 tablespoons of milk. Almost immediately all the ingredients will combine evenly.
- If the buttercream frosting is too dry, add another tablespoon of milk. If the frosting is too wet or soupy, add a little powdered sugar until it reaches the desired consistency.
- Good to spread on 24 cupcakes OR good for about 12 cupcakes piped high (as seen in the pictures)