I generally buy Perdue Simply Smart Chicken Nuggets for Hannah (my four year old) to eat on occasion and she always loves them. I feel great about their simple ingredients that I can read and understand. However, I really love to cook and Hannah loves to help, so instead of buying nuggets, I decided to make bite sized popcorn chicken. Perdue Perfect Portion Chicken Thighs are perfect for making popcorn chicken, especially for a family that loves dark meat. Chicken thighs have lots of flavor and a texture that we love!
I think the trick to making good chicken nuggets at home or popcorn chicken is a wet dry method, and to really season well. I try and limit our salt intake, in order to that you have to add plenty of spices to your dry and wet ingredients. For Popcorn chicken my go to seasoning are garlic powder, small amount of salt and plenty of black pepper. I season both the egg wash mixture and the flour mixture. This way my chicken gets a double dose of seasoning. Try and maintain a wet and a dry hand this will help with clumping and developing huge “dough” fingers.
The popcorn chicken really turned out well. You could dip them in a ranch sauce or you could easily throw them into a salad (like I did). They are perfect for a toddler and trust me, they will be eaten! You can also really spice this recipe up in any way you would like to, lemon pepper, chili spice, but here is how I made them:
- 1 complete package of Perdue Perfect Portion Chicken Thighs
- 2 cups of whole wheat flour or all purpose
- 4 eggs
- 1 tbs of baking powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tbs of garlic powder
- non-stick spray
- Preheat oven to 425.
- Put eggs in a bowl and beat together.
- Put flour in a bowl and all all spices to flour mixture including baking powder and toss together gently.
- Cube chicken thighs and in batches using one hand for wet ingredients and one hand for dry, place chicken in egg mixture first, then transfer to flour, tossing to coat.
- Shake off excess flour and place on a sprayed cookie sheet. Repeat process until all chicken pieces are coated.
- Spray lightly with non-stick spray the tops of the chicken pieces.
- Bake for 25-30 min or until done.
I’d encourage you to connect with Perdue Chicken on Facebook, Twitter and Pinterest PLUS make sure to sign up for the Perdue Crew which provides you with EXCLUSIVE access to coupons, deals and recipes! You can learn more about PERFECT PORTIONS here. Coming soon you will be able to download the eBook containing all 30 recipes for easy viewing on your computer, tablet or phone!