Doesn’t this look just amazing. We love couscous in our home. It’s a nutritious and easy alternative to rice and pasta. If you are wondering what couscous is, it’s simply granules of wheat. Couscous it’s a staple food from North Africa, often found in Moroccan and Tunisian dishes and is often found in French cooking.
This lemon chicken and couscous recipe was very good. It had a great citrus bite, full of lemon flavor. My wife thought it could use a little more lemon, so if you love lemons, add a little more! The couscous was done al dente so it’s firm but it won’t stick in your teeth. The tomatoes and yellow pepper gave it a nice sweetness to balance out the lemon. The olives rounded out the dish nicely and gave a nice touch of salt. You can always leave the olives out if you want, but I personally love olives!
Hope you enjoy this recipe, it’s delicious!
- 1 Lbs. Chicken Tenders (approximately 5 tenders)
- 2 cups pearl couscous
- 6 Cloves Garlic minced, (approximately 1 Tbsp.)
- 3 Roma Tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1 Yellow Pepper chopped
- ¼ Cup sliced Black Olives
- 1 Lemon, zest and juice
- 2 ¼ Cups Chicken Broth
- ½ teas. Salt
- ¼ teas. Black Pepper
- 1 Tbsp. Dried Basil
- 2 Tbsp. Butter
- 2 Tbsp. Olive Oil
- Cut chicken tenders in half, length wise, then into ½ inch pieces. Put them in a bowl with Salt, Black Pepper and Lemon juice. Let sit at least 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400˚.
- Melt Butter and 1 Tbsp. Olive Oil in an oven proof pan over medium high heat. Add Chicken and cook just until it doesn’t show any pink on the outside any longer, 1-2 minutes. Remove chicken back to bowl.
- Put Chicken broth in microwave for 1 ½ minutes to warm it a little.
- In the same pan heat 1 Tbsp. Olive Oil add Couscous and Garlic stirring occasionally for 2 minutes
- Add Chicken broth and remove from heat.
- Add Lemon zest, Tomatoes, Yellow Pepper, Black Olives, Basil and Chicken with all liquids. Stir to combine.
- Bake at 400˚ until liquid is absorbed, 10-12 minutes.
- Serve Warm.