These were a happy accident. I had left over pumpkin pie batter and no crust left, so I needed something to act as a crust. I had some left over flax seed cereal and thought it would be a fabulous crust. Well they turn out to be almost a pumpkin pie muffin. If you look at the picture you can see the crust rise with the pie filling….um YUM! Perfect mini pumpkin pie cupcakes!
The cereal absorbs some of moisture and puffs up and it becomes this delicious pumpkin pie on top with a soft muffin like or cupcake like bottom. Add a dollop of whip cream and they are quite tasty!! I made ‘cupcakes’ and a full pie and enjoyed both!
This tastes just like grandma’s pumpkin pie, just in manageable portions! They are completely freezable which makes for wonderful bag lunch stuffers. Unfortunately, around our house, they didn’t last long!!
Trust us, you’ll want more than just one bite! Enjoy!
- 2 cups of can pumpkin
- ½ cup honey
- ¼ cup of agave
- 4 egg whites
- ½ teaspoon fresh ginger
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- ⅛ teaspoon of allspice
- 1½ teaspoons cinnamon
- 1½ cups 1% milk
- 1 ½ cups of Hodgson Mill Flaxseed and soy cereal
- ¼ cup agave syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Mix together all crust ingredients until crumbly.
- Combine all pie ingredients in a large mixing bowl, and mix thoroughly.
- Place the crust mixture in the bottom of non-stick muffin tin evenly. (Depending on the size of you tin you may need two muffin tins)
- Add pie mixture on top of the crust.
- Bake at 350 degrees F. and bake for 20 minutes or until set.