I am a member of the Collective Bias® Social Fabric® Community. This shop has been compensated as part of a social shopper amplification for Collective Bias and its advertiser. #SummerOutshine #CollectiveBias #Cbias
I live in Kentucky, and I love this state. It beautiful, even amongst the big cities, you still see plenty of green and pastures and rolling hills. We get all four seasons, but boy when it begins to get warm, it usually skips the nice pleasant spring weather, and goes straight to hot and muggy. We get a few nice days, as if to tease us, and then its straight to what in the heck can I do to cool down weather. What’s better on a hot day than a Popsicle?
I recently discovered, while shopping at Target, Nestle Outshine Fruit Bars. Hannah always asks for frozen fruit bars or ice cream whenever she is with me when I am shopping. But I don’t like her having too much sugar or too much artificial flavorings. Well when I began to read the Outshine box I was very much surprised that there was fruit and in some of the bars there were also vegetables. So for me, anytime I can get extra fruit and veggies into my little one it’s a win-win. Hannah and I picked up a couple of boxes and checked out at Target and headed home.
Before we are even home, the box is open and Hannah and I both are enjoying them, just don’t tell mommy. They were so delicious that I decided to put them into one of my dessert recipes. I thought why not a sweet scone with a strawberry glaze, all made from Nestle Outshine Fruit Bars? I began to look through my wife’s recipes, and I found one I liked. Hannah helped me get all the ingredients from the pantry and off we went. I started melting down the Orange and Carrot Outshine bars to incorporate into the recipe. I grabbed out the mixer and began to add all the ingredients needed for the scones. Hannah got very excited about how this final product would turn out, of course licking the spoon the entire way!
I preheated the oven and cut the dough into triangles and placed them in the oven to bake. Soon the house began to fill with wonderful aromas of orange sweetness. As I continued reducing the strawberry glaze I could tell this was going to be fantastic. I pulled them out of the oven and topped them immediately with the glaze, and let me tell you they were amazing!
They tasted like a sweet orange biscuit. They are very light and fluffy and a perfect mix between a biscuit and a cake. The outshine glaze was like a perfect strawberry jam. You’ve got to try these for yourself!
Outshine Bars are available at Target and they have an excellent selection!
- 3 cups of flour
- 1 stick of butter
- 1 tsp of salt
- ½ cup of sugar
- 2 Orange and Carrot Nestle Outshine Fruit Bars melted
- 1 egg
- ½ cup of milk, cream or half and half for brushing
- 1 tbs and ½ of baking powder
- 3 Strawberry Outshine Fruit Bars
- ¼ cup of sugar
- Preheat oven to 350.
- In a microwave safe bowl melt the two bars and remove the sticks afterward.
- In a mixing bowl place the flour and cubed stick of butter.
- With your hands work the flour and butter until it’s a crumbly cornmeal like mixture.
- Add in salt, sugar, and baking powder, stirring to combine.
- Beat one egg and add in along with the milk, melted popsicles.
- Turn out of the bowl and on to a floured surface and form into a ball.
- Press out the dough to about ¼-1/3 inch thickness.
- Cut into triangle shapes.
- Place on a sprayed pan, and brush with a little cream on top.
- Bake until they are golden brown or 25-30 min.
- Place strawberry Outshine bars in the microwave to melt enough to remove the sticks.
- Place on stove and add ¼ cup of sugar and let reduce by half
- Let glaze cool and it should thicken.