One of our favorite Chinese take out dishes has been Orange Chicken, but its typically fried chicken, in a heavy sauce… not exactly a healthy recipe. So how do you get all that citrus flavor without all those fried-citrus-fat-grams? Here’s how! A Skinny Orange Chicken Recipe!
This sauce coats every bite of chicken with a great orange flavor, which pairs perfectly with the molasses from the brown sugar. Doing this recipe from home also allows you to have full control over the vegetables that go into the dish as well! Add as little or as much as you want! We love broccoli but can’t stand water chestnuts (which our local Chinese restaurant adds to their orange chicken) so I can customize to our families specific tastes and requirements.
This orange chicken is definitely NOT fried! Try this recipe out and let it know how you like it!
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs or breast cut into 1-inch pieces
- ¾ cup low-sodium chicken stock
- ¾ cup freshly squeezed orange juice (with or without pulp)
- 4 tablespoons distilled white vinegar
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- ½ cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
- 2 tablespoons of dehydrated chopped onions
- ½ teaspoon Thai chili garlic paste
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch & 2 tablespoons cold water mixed.
- 1 small zucchini chopped
- 1 red pepper diced
- In a large saucepan combine the chicken stock, orange juice, orange zest, vinegar, soy sauce, brown sugar, garlic, ginger, chopped onions and garlic paste.
- Bring to boil, whisking to dissolve sugar; reduce heat to low until you're ready to thicken the sauce.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, saute chicken pieces in a little canola oil until nicely browned and cooked through (do this in several batches if necessary).
- Remove chicken to a platter; reserve.
- Add zucchini and diced red pepper to the pan, sauté until zucchini has softened and red pepper has softened and slightly browned.
- To finish the sauce, bring mixture back up to a boil.
- Combine cornstarch and water, add to sauce for and stir for 1 to 2 minutes, remove from heat.
- Combine cooked chicken, vegetables and sauce and serve over brown rice.