Most people don’t put an entire chicken in a crockpot. They cut it up or get boneless chicken breast and let it slow cook until it’s nice and tender. We decided to try something a little different. We let the chicken unthaw (mostly) and then added it to the top of roughly chopped veggies.
I placed my chicken on top of the veggies, but I will reverse it next time chicken on bottom veggies on top. The vegetables are simple, just zucchini & sweet potatoes wrapped tightly in foil and salted.
Dinner is served! If you love chicken, putting a whole chicken into a slow cooker shouldn’t be a scary thing, it will cook! Just be careful getting it out, it will start to fall apart! Moist and delicious, this is definitely the way to cook chicken.
A nice added bonus, don’t throw it away this is pure home made chicken stock
Chill to skim off fat
Gently skim the fat from the mixture.
Warm slightly and strain liquid from veggies and herbs. We freeze the remaining veggies for soups.
Place in muffin tin to freeze for later usage
- One whole chicken
- 2 tbs of your favorite spice blend ( I used Cavendars greek seasoning here)
- 4 carrots
- 1 cup of Kale
- 1 cup of celery
- 1 acorn squash
- 2 sweet potatoes
- 2 onions
- 1 cup of water
- Rub your chicken down with your spices
- Place chicken in crockpot
- Add in carrots, kale, onions, celery around the chicken
- Wrap the squash, and sweet potatoes separately in foil
- Place these on top of the chicken
- Add in water
- Turn crock pot on high and cook for 6-8 hrs
This is a great weeknight meal when you are on the go, and still want to get a good dinner on the table. I would make this meal over and over again!