Looking for a fast and completely healthy side for dinner? Rather than baking or frying up a bag of small crispy potato chunks why not try something different!
These mini faux tot’s are easy to make and taste great! (our biggest challenge with them is not eating them all before they are plated for dinner) a quick sprinkle of cheese and seasoning salt adds the final flavors to this simple side.
With next to no fat, and being packed with flavor these small crispy tots can be an “anytime” snack! A helpful tip if you don’t have time to wait for the liquid to drain from your zucchini. Just add some extra bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese to the mixture to contend with the extra moisture
- 1 small zucchini (1/2 cup)
- 1 small yellow squash (1/2 cup)
- 3 tbsp egg substitute
- ¼ whole wheat bread crumbs
- 1 glove minced garlic
- ¼ tsp red pepper flake
- ¼ onion diced
- 2 oz fresh Parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- I tbsp olive oil
- Mini Muffin Tin, prepared (lightly coated with cooking spray)
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees
- Grate your zucchini and squash into a bowl, yielding at least ½ cup of each vegetable.
- Place the vegetables in cheese cloth or colander over a bowl and allow some of the water from the vegetables drain off.
- Meanwhile in a pan over medium heat, add the olive oil to the pan and sauté the onions until translucent.
- Add the garlic and sauté for 3 to 4 additional minutes. Set aside to cool.
- In a mixing bowl combine all the ingredients together, mixing until combined. Add garlic and onions from sauté pan.
- Begin spooning the mixture into the tin making sure each cup is firmly packed.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes.