It’s quite often that we are very busy around here most nights. Even on the weekends without work, and school it can still remain busy with errands to run spending time with the family. As a rule I have been trying to get the whole family to eat more veggies, to try new ones they haven’t before. But with all the business of our family I don’t always have the time it takes to prep and roast, or steam those veggies.
Here is where my crockpot, and planning come to the rescue. I want to get dinner on with limited fuss and healthiest ingredients possible. I decided that I would make Mesquite Ranch Chicken, with Kale, and Ranch potatoes. But wait, ranch seasoning is high in salt, and the dressing is high in fat right? So, I took to the Internet to research how to make my own seasoning that would allow me to control everything that was going into my seasoning. Pairing Perdue Perfect portions Mesquite marinated chicken breast with the homemade ranch seasoning makes my job a whole lot easier.
One of the beauties of the crockpot is the set it and forget it function. But I wanted to prepare my whole meal at once, could it be done? I put together the ranch seasoning, (this took the longest of the whole meal prep), took the chicken out of the fridge, plugged in the crockpot, washed and de-stemmed the kale, washed and chopped potatoes, and peeled and chopped one onion. Literally that was it!
I put 5 pieces of chicken in the bottom of the crockpot, along with half the onion. I put 2 tbs of the ranch mixture, along with 1 cup of chicken stock over the chicken breast. I made two separate pouches of tin foil for the kale and potatoes. I generally dice up 1 small potato per person. I placed the potatoes in the packet with the other ½ of the onion and 2 tbs of ranch seasoning. I repeated this process with the Kale, leaving out the onion. I massaged the seasonings into the kale because I find this helps release some of the bitterness of the veggie. I put both packets of vegetable on top of the chicken and turned my crockpot on high for 4 hrs. Dinner……done!
- 1 Perdue Perfect Portion Mesquite Chicken Breast per person
- 1 ranch package or homemade ranch
- scallions for garnish (optional)
- 1 small potato per person
- 1 bunch of kale (as a side)
- 1 sweet onion
- Wash, chop and prepare all veggies.
- Make tin-foil pouches and put potatoes in one, and the kale in the other.
- Adding in 2 tbs of ranch mix to each.
- Add in half of the onion to the potatoes and seal the packet.
- Massage the seasoning into the kale and seal packet.
- In crock-pot add in the chicken, 2 tbs of seasoning, ½ of the onion. You can optionally add 1 cup of chicken stock if you prefer moist chicken
- Place the packets of veggies on top of chicken and cover crock with lid. Cook on High for 4 hrs.
I’d encourage you to connect with Perdue Chicken on Facebook, Twitter and Pinterest PLUS make sure to sign up for the Perdue Crew which provides you with EXCLUSIVE access to coupons, deals and recipes! You can learn more about PERFECT PORTIONS here. Coming soon you will be able to download the eBook containing all 30 recipes for easy viewing on your computer, tablet or phone!