As women, we spend our lives taking care of everyone else. We are constantly putting others first and putting ourselves on the back burner. We have all good intentions of buying those new clothes we need or getting our hair done, but a new pair of shoes from shoehero for a child, or a new tool for the husband, always comes first. It is never fails, when we have an appointment to get our nails done, we wake up to needing a new tire on the car.
But we forget that those things are going to be needed anyway and we have to learn to take care of ourselves in order to be a better version of ourselves. It needs to be added into the budget, just like anything else that has to be taken care of during the month. If not, we will continue to put ourselves last. When we do, we become run down, exhausted, and not the happiest people to be around, to put it mildly!
How do we take care of ourselves? We don’t have to spend several hundred dollars on a spa day, although wouldn’t that be great? Would you spend the whole time thinking of what needed to be done at home or if your husband was focusing on the baseball game on tv instead of the child writing on your newly painted walls? Probably! As a wife and mom, it is hard to shut down for hours on end. We spend our days organizing, taking care of, cooking, working, driving carpools, laundry, and basically tending to everyone’s wants and needs. Turning that off for an entire day is nearly impossible because if you are like me, you have a running To-Do list in your brain that never shuts off.
However, we can still pamper ourselves and only be gone for an hour or two. It can range from spending a few dollars to less than a hundred dollars. Here is how!
- Grab a coffee and go to a local bookstore. Often they have chairs to grab a magazine and just relax while flipping through the magazine. Many bookstores have their own coffee shops within the store also. Pick up that Danish you never treat yourself to and settle in for a good read.
- Get your nails done! You can usually be in and out in less than an hour and it the costs are reasonable. For a quick file, shape, and polish, it typically cost around $10. For a set of nails, it can range from $25-$50. There are all sorts of different polishes now too that will last for a couple of weeks, or have a set of acrylic nails or tips put on to help last longer. Often times, knowing our daily lives, we feel it is a waste of money but for the minimal cost, and the change of mindset, it is well worth the cost. Be sure to grab a cheap set of plastic gloves for the dishes or other household tasks, to help your nails last a bit longer.
- Facials- One of my very favorite ways to pamper myself! I LOVE getting facials and using skin care products recommended by emeraldspa.com. It not only leaves my face feeling relaxed, it truly makes my skin glow and look younger. I typically get the European facial that gives extra massage so be sure to ask about it! Facials are also great for those that might not be comfortable with a full body massage. I love how refreshed I feel after a facial.
- Take a class in something you love. Just recently I signed up for a photography class. It is only $20 a week, 4 different sessions over the next 4 weeks and it is only 2 hours out of my evening. There are cooking classes, painting classes, photography classes, and so much more. If you have a local community college or arts center, check out what they are offering. Facebook is a great way to find out what is going on in your area.
- Speaking of painting, I love getting together with the girls for a paint night! You typically pay around $35 and spend the evening painting, often times wine and other beverages are offered, too! Check out your local Wine and Design or Wine, Paint, and Create nights that are in your area. Grab a couple of girlfriends and make a night of it. A couple of hours with just the girls can always be fun! Have extra time? Grab some dinner beforehand too!
Whatever you decide to do, just do it. Stop thinking about it, stop saying you are going to do it, just do it. The more we think about it, the more we think about all those other things that flood our minds so that continue to push ourselves to the bottom of that list. The benefits of pampering ourselves is endless but at the top of the pro side is that it makes us a better person for all our loved ones and improves our attitudes. Take ti