In my house we are pasta lovers! So the more we have the more we eat. Well I have been working hard to change all of that. The serving size of pasta is 2oz of dry or 4 oz cooked per person, so this dish will serve 4. I have found that this is a tasty and great way to control our pasta intake but also a good way of sneaking veggies in on my unsuspecting family. (I am sure by now they know, they just don’t ask.)
I remember growing up and one of my very fond memories was of my Mama’s lasagna! She would layer it with noodle and wonderful meaty sauce and the cheese of course the cheese that would go in it! Well as an adult who could stand to lose a few pounds, I mean couldn’t we all, I have tried to lighten this dish up. This baked spaghetti recipe is my answer to that! This will give you all the mouth feel, comfort and taste of a lasagna but with fewer calories!
- 8oz of dry pasta ( I use whole wheat)
- 1cup of cottage cheese
- 2 large cans of crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup of onion
- 1 cup of green peppers
- 1 large zucchini
- 1 small squash
- 1tbs of olive or canola oil
- ½ container of mushrooms
- 1 cup of low fat cheese
- 4oz of light cream cheese
- ½ lb of ground beef or turkey or more if you like your sauce really meaty
- Pre heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Shred the squash, zucchini, and mushrooms using a box grater or shredding attachment for your food processor.
- Place the meat and all the veggies into the skillet and cook until the meat is no longer pink.
- When done drain the fat if necessary, then add back into the pan and add the tomatoes along with the oil.
- Cook spaghetti according to package directions. Using a hand blender or food processor, pulse the cottage cheese until smooth.
- Mix the cottage cheese with the cream cheese and set aside. Cook the pasta until al dente and then set it aside as well.
- Once you have the sauce and pasta done you can assemble your pasta.
- I start with a sauce layer, then ½ the pasta, more sauce and then the cream cheese mixture.
- Then repeat, on the top level you should end with sauce and here is where I add the remaining shredded cheese and place in a 400 degree oven until the cheese is nice and bubbly.
Aimee @ ShugarySweets says
mmm sounds like a delicious dinner my kids would love!!