I am not going to lie to you and tell you that this chicken pot pie recipe does not take a long time to make from scratch, because it does. But I will tell you its well worth it. If you follow the pie crust recipe that is linked, I substituted 1 cup of all purpose flour (non-clean element) because I am still bringing my family over to the completely whole wheat side of things.
I also followed the cream of mushroom recipe that is also linked the only thing I changed there was I used 1% milk. Making the cream of Mushroom soup was the longest part of this. If you already have chicken pre-cooked or have a rotisserie chicken that makes this recipe go a lot faster!
Once you have all the pieces, the piecrust, cream of mushroom, and shredded chicken, and veggies you are ready to assemble. Mix the chicken, cream of mushroom and veggies and put into casserole dish. Top with piecrust and place in the oven! Bake and enjoy!
- 3 roasted leg quarters,(seasoned with a little salt, pepper and garlic) skinned and de-boned and 1 chicken breast
- 1 pound frozen peas
- 1 pound frozen (or fresh) carrots – sliced and chopped
- 4-6 cups clean eating cream of mushroom soup (see link in post)
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch or tapioca starch
- Pie crust (see link)
- ¼ cup 1% milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- If your chicken is not pre-cooked, then slice it into small, bite-sized pieces and cook in a pan with 1 tbsp. of olive oil, 1 teaspoon garlic powder, 1 teaspoon black pepper and ½ teaspoon salt. If your chicken is already cooked, simply chop it into small pieces and put it in a large mixing bowl.
- Add you vegetables to the chicken, in a large bowl.
- Stir in your mushroom soup and cornstarch.
- Mix everything together really well.
- Now add the pie crust over the top, and add a few slits for venting.
- Bake for approximately 45 minutes until the contents inside are warm and the crust is brown!