When I went to Italy in my 20’s (it’s sad that I can say that!) one of my favorite things on a warm afternoon was chocolate gelato. Oh my what a treat. We recently got an ice cream maker and the very first recipe I wanted to try was a homemade chocolate gelato recipe. I begged Lacy (who is the real cook in our house) to make it. To my surprise, I met with little resistance!
This recipe is fairly simple to make, and literally it tastes just like the rich chocolate gelato I had in Italy. The only ingredients you probably won’t have in your pantry already are heavy cream. Remember that with gelato, you’ll need only the egg yolks, (save the whites for breakfast).
I absolutely loved this gelato. We will absolutely be making it again. Smooth, creamy, melt in your mouth goodness. Ummm, yea, it’s that good. I would definitely invest in an ice cream maker, it was simple to make but probably a little difficult without one! Enjoy this delicious recipe!
- 2¼ cups 2% milk
- ⅓ cup heavy cream
- ¾ cup sugar, divided
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 ounces bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 4 extra-large egg yolks
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- Large pinch kosher salt
- Heat the milk, cream, and ½ cup of sugar until the sugar dissolves and the milk starts to simmer.
- Add the cocoa powder and chocolate and whisk until smooth. Pour into a heat-proof measuring cup.
- Place the egg yolks and the remaining ¼ cup sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer and beat on high speed for 3 to 5 minutes, until light yellow and very thick.
- With the mixer on low speed, slowly pour the hot chocolate mixture into the egg mixture.
- Pour the egg and chocolate mixture back into the saucepan and cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until thickened.
- A candy thermometer will register about 180 degrees F. Don't allow it boil!
- Pour the mixture through a sieve into a bowl and add the vanilla and salt.
- Place a piece of plastic wrap directly on top of the custard and chill completely.
- Pour the custard into the bowl of an ice cream maker and process for about 45 minutes.
- Place into freezer and eat when convenient