Doesn’t this look just amazing. We love couscous in our home. It’s a nutritious and easy alternative to rice and pasta. If you are wondering what couscous is, it’s simply granules of wheat. Couscous it’s a staple food from North Africa, often found in Moroccan and Tunisian dishes and is often found in French cooking. If you want to try couscous and other African delicacies, you may find an african store in your area.
This lemon chicken and couscous recipe was very good. It had a great citrus bite, full of lemon flavor. My wife thought it could use a little more lemon, so if you love lemons, add a little more! The couscous was done al dente so it’s firm but it won’t stick in your teeth. The tomatoes and yellow pepper gave it a nice sweetness to balance out the lemon. The olives rounded out the dish nicely and gave a nice touch of salt. You can always leave the olives out if you want, but I personally love olives!
Hope you enjoy this recipe, it’s delicious!
- 1 Lbs. Chicken Tenders (approximately 5 tenders)
- 2 cups pearl couscous
- 6 Cloves Garlic minced, (approximately 1 Tbsp.)
- 3 Roma Tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1 Yellow Pepper chopped
- ¼ Cup sliced Black Olives
- 1 Lemon, zest and juice
- 2 ¼ Cups Chicken Broth
- ½ teas. Salt
- ¼ teas. Black Pepper
- 1 Tbsp. Dried Basil
- 2 Tbsp. Butter
- 2 Tbsp. Olive Oil
- Cut chicken tenders in half, length wise, then into ½ inch pieces. Put them in a bowl with Salt, Black Pepper and Lemon juice. Let sit at least 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400˚.
- Melt Butter and 1 Tbsp. Olive Oil in an oven proof pan over medium high heat. Add Chicken and cook just until it doesn’t show any pink on the outside any longer, 1-2 minutes. Remove chicken back to bowl.
- Put Chicken broth in microwave for 1 ½ minutes to warm it a little.
- In the same pan heat 1 Tbsp. Olive Oil add Couscous and Garlic stirring occasionally for 2 minutes
- Add Chicken broth and remove from heat.
- Add Lemon zest, Tomatoes, Yellow Pepper, Black Olives, Basil and Chicken with all liquids. Stir to combine.
- Bake at 400˚ until liquid is absorbed, 10-12 minutes.
- Serve Warm.