Don’t get me wrong, I’m huge fan of chocolate frosting but sometimes you need a change to enhance your cupcake. I love making homemade frosting, but thought, inside of chocolate, let’s try a homemade nutella frosting. I obviously am not making the nutella from scratch (although I might try that soon!) but I just believe that homemade icing simply tastes so much better!
For my husband growing up Nutella was a staple in their kitchen pantry; he grew up with sandwiches made of popular Italian spread. So when I suggested an upgrade to the standard chocolate frosting for our cupcakes, he was all for it!
The Nutella imparts a smooth hazelnut flavor accentuated by the addition of sea salt and vanilla to the frosting. The sea salt helps to tame the sweetness in the frosting giving it both sweet and salty elements.
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
- 1- 13-ounce jar of Nutella
- pinch of fine grain sea salt
- 1 tablespoon clear vanilla extract
- 1.5 pounds confectioners’ sugar, sifted
- 4-6 tablespoons milk
- In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and Nutella until well combined, thick and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Slowly add in confectioner’s sugar, and continue mixing until well blended.
- Add salt, vanilla, and 3 tablespoons of heavy cream or milk. Blend on low speed until moistened. Add an additional 3-5 tablespoons of heavy cream or milk until you reach the desired consistency. Beat at high speed until frosting is smooth and fluffy, about 3 minutes.