Quinoa and black beans. Quinoa. If you’re like me, you may not even know how to pronounce this. Here’s a hint: kiːnwɑ. Lacy told me today that we were having quinoa and black beans and I thought, here we go again. Last week it was Paella, this week it’s quinoa. So what is quinoa and why are we using it? Well quinoa is a great substitute for rice. Rice is basically carbs on a plate. Quinoa is a good alternative to rice for lots of different reasons. It’s a similar size and has a similar cooking procedure. Quinoa is lighter and has a puffy texture, where rice can be sticky and heavy. But why we use quinoa is for it’s nutritional superiority over rice. While it still has carbs, it has tons of protein! It also has many core amino acids that make this a great heart-friendly food. As for flavor, quinoa has a slightly nutty flavor, but is versatile enough that it really can be used with almost any dish that has rice.
Quinoa and black beans is an easy snack in the afternoon, or a great meal for the family. We add a little lime and cherry tomatoes to it and bam, a beautiful dish.
You’ll find that quinoa is an excellent way to eat clean, wholesome food! This will leave you refreshed and filled up for a long while, not to mention the fiber to keep you moving!! This is definitely a worth while dish to try!
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- ¾ cup uncooked quinoa
- 1½ cups vegetable broth
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- salt and pepper to taste
- ½ bag of frozen corn
- 1 (15 ounce) can of black beans
- ½ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 lime for garnish
- 1-2 cherry tomatoes
- Heat the oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Stir in the onion and garlic, and saute until lightly browned. We use a garlic press for the garlic, found here.
- Mix quinoa into the saucepan and cover with vegetable broth. Season with cayenne pepper (if desired), salt, and pepper. Bring the mixture to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes,
- Stir corn into the saucepan, and continue to simmer about 5 minutes until heated through.
- Rinse and drain your black beans and mix in with cilantro
- Add a tomato or lime to the dish. We like to squeeze the lime juice over the dish before eating