As a child at Halloween after hauling in our loot we would sit in the floor with our cousins (my sister and I) and begin bartering with one another to get the candy we really wanted. For my sister it was always the Kit Kat bars and for me always the Reese Cups. To this day they are still one of my weaknesses.
So if you love Reese Cups like I do, I hope you’ll try this recipe and love it just like we did. You might even have trouble waiting for the cupcakes to cool so you can frost them… them seem to just disappear!
- 2 cups sugar
- ¾ cup cocoa powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1¾ cups all purpose flour
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup canola oil
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup reese peanut butter morsels
- 2 sticks unsalted butter
- 1 cup Reese's Peanut Butter
- 1- ½ cups confectioners sugar
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 1 to 2 tablespoons of milk
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
- Line muffin pan with paper cups. Recipe makes approximately 30 filling to ⅔ capacity.
- Mix together all the dry ingredients excluding the peanut butter morsels.
- Add milk, eggs, oil and vanilla and mix for approximately 2 minutes on low speed until combined.
- Add boiling water (the batter will be thin)
- Scoop batter into individual muffin tins.
- Distribute peanut butter morsels among filled cupcakes, bake for 20 to 25 minutes until toothpick comes out clean.
- In a stand mixer cream the butter and peanut butter together. Add salt. Slowly incorporate confectioners sugar stopping occasionally to scrape the sides of the bowl. Once incorporated add vanilla and milk to mixture until light and fluffy.
Julie @ Julie's Eats & Treats says
Ohhhh I love this! Can never go wrong with PB & Chocolate!
Shouldn’t there be flour in this? More than thin – it is like water. Overflowed all over my oven. Threw it all out!
OMG I’m so sorry when I was typing the recipe I must have omitted the flour by mistake. You are absolutely correct, there should be 1-3/4 cups of all purpose flour added. I do hope you will try them again with the flour.
Ah, delicious! Thank you!
Is there any way you could edit your post? I looked at the recipe, not the comments, and have a huge mess on my hands now.
I’ve logged the change three times and for some reason it just wouldn’t save but that has been straightened out and the changes are now in the recipe. So sorry about your mess, I feel just awful! I hope you try them with the flour again they are extremely tasty!
Do you happen to know the calorie count on one of these bad boys?
Michelle I honestly don’t. I only make these for special occasions and I honestly throw out the leftovers or send them home with friends or family. You can certainly use one of the many calorie calculator to get the information your looking.
Jenny F. says
These are beyond WOW! I made them exactly as stated and they are the best cupcakes I have made yet! Thanks for sharing the recipe.
Oh I am so glad you enjoyed the recipe! They are my favorite as well!
I didn’t try the cupcake portion of this recipe because I didn’t want that many cupcakes floating around but I used the frosting (halved it!) and Omg! So so good! It tastes better than the middle of the Reese’s brand sstuffed cupcakes! I’m going to link to this on my blog! Thank you!
So glad you enjoyed it Natalie!
where can you get the reeces peanut butter?? or what could you substitute??
I got my peanut butter from Walmart but a local store here sells it as well. I’m sure you can substitute with another peanut butter I’ve never used anything else.
Should I refrigerate these after I’m completely done or leave them out if there for a few hours later?
I made those before and they are HUGE hit!! even tho i add the flour mixture at the end and mix slowly until combined. at first they shrank when i got them out the oven when i used this recipe so i change it up a little 🙂 but delicious!!
Is there a difference in taste if you use Vegetable Oil instead of Canola oil? or can you substitute one for the other?
You can interchange them no problem
MELISSA THRESHER says
These were so yummy but I have to ask, in the frosting, you say 2 sticks of butter…what size sticks, the half sticks or full size sticks? I used two full sticks and it was yummy but wanted to check.