We love zucchini in our house. It’s a great vegetable and if you’ve followed us for a while you know that my wife likes to grind up zucchini and stick it into burgers. She’s always trying to get me to eat more veggies. This recipe is actually my moms. We recently moved in as we are selling our home and building a new one, and she raves and raves about this recipe.
My dad, sister and brother all day its one of their favorites and if you are trying to eat low-carb, this recipe is for you. Diabetic and gluten free, it’s sure to satisfy some of the most picky and restricted eaters.
My moms loves this low-carbohydrate recipe because it leaves out the ‘carby’ tomato based sauce and bread crumbs. Instead it uses several veggies, ground beef & pork, and spices to make a delicious treat!
Once all of the ingredients are combined, the recipe bakes for about 30 minutes and you’ve got a delicious and unique one-of-a-kind dinner!
The results are amazing. We hope you enjoy this recipe, my family sure does!
- 6-7 Zucchini (extra-large)
- 1 Red Bell Pepper, diced
- 1 Green Bell Pepper, diced
- 1 Cup fresh Spinach, diced
- 1 large Jalapeno Pepper, diced. Note: Or for more spice use 2 Jalapeno Peppers.
- 1 stalk Celery, diced
- ½ Onion (medium), finely diced
- 6 Garlic Cloves, finely diced
- Olive Oil
- 1 Tbs. Grinders Italian Herb Seasoning
- ⅛ Tsp. Pepper
- ⅛ Tsp. Salt
- 1 Egg
- 1 pound Ground Pork
- 1 pound Italian Sausage
- 1 ½ pounds Ground Beef
- 8oz. Mozzarella Cheese, shredded
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- Bring a large pot of water to boil.
- Cut zucchini in half lengthwise and scoop the flesh out leaving about ¼" thick. Dice the scooped out zucchini into small pieces and set aside.
- Drop zucchini halves in boiling water and cook about 2 minutes. Remove from water.
- Grease two 9”x12” baking dishes with olive oil and place zucchini halves cut side up in the baking dish.
- In large sauté pan, cook ground beef, ground pork and Italian sausage. Drain and set aside.
- Heat olive oil in large pan and add onion, garlic, red and green peppers, celery, jalapeno pepper, spinach, celery. Cook on a medium heat for about 5 minutes, until veggies are just getting soft.
- To veggie mixture, add chopped zucchini and seasonings and cook and additional 2-3 minutes.
- Combine meat mixture to veggie mixture and cook a few minutes more. Remove from heat.
- Add egg to mixture.
- Using a slotted spoon, fill cooked hollowed out zucchini with mixture.
- Top each zucchini with parmesan cheese. Then sprinkle each zucchini with mozzarella cheese.
- Cover with foil and bake 30 minutes at 350 degrees until cheese is melted. Uncover and bake an additional 5 minutes.
- Serve with salad to make a healthy low-carb meal! Enjoy!
- Servings: about 10-11.