I think I have adequately expressed my love of seafood. It truly is so hard to get awesome seafood, fresh seafood living in KY. But that does not deter me. I love, love, love Salmon. It probably is my favorite fish to eat. I will admit that I have cheated on Salmon from time to time, with others, but believe me when I say I always come back to Salmon.
I recently had the opportunity to try some King Salmon from Pure Food Fish Market out in Seattle. Let me tell you a little about this awesome seafood market. They are located in the seafood capital of the west coast in Seattle. You can order whatever fish they have available, and this is all fresh by the way, and they will overnight it to you on dry ice. You will have in the span of 24hrs some of the freshest seafood you have ever had in your life! I knew when we had tried the crab that it was amazing, so being given the opportunity to cook and eat fresh King Salmon, this salmon lover was over the moon!
The day the salmon arrived I was like a kid at Christmas. I could not wait until it was time to cook the Salmon for dinner. But truly, all the ideas swirling around in my head, were making me dizzy, how could allow this beautiful pink Salmon shine through? I decided that I would do a soy, mustard, brown sugar marinade. I really wanted the flavor of the fresh fish to shine through, and didn’t want added flavors to over power this beautiful bright pink piece of fish.
So, I decided that after I took the beautiful pieces of fish out of the marinade that I would grill them on cedar planks on the grill. I soaked the cedar planks in water for about an hour, because hey wood and fire tend to burn! I allowed the fish to stay in the marinade for 2-4 hours and fully absorb all the flavors. I put my gas grill on low and placed the planks on the grill and then the fish on top of the planks. I closed the lid and allow the fish to cook until slightly firm to the touch.
Simply amazing! This Salmon was the best tasting salmon I have ever had. We literally could not stop eating it!! I promise you will not be disappointed ordering fresh seafood from Pure Food Fish Market! Just take the plunge and enjoy some of the best fish that the west coast has to offer!
- 2-3lbs of Fresh Salmon Fillets
- ½ cup of soy sauce
- 2 tsp of red pepper flakes
- 2 tsp of wholegrain mustard
- 1 tbs of garlic powder
- ⅓ cup of canola oil
- ⅓ cup of brown sugar
- 2 soaked cedar planks
- In a large zip top bag place all marinade ingredients in and mix together.
- Place fish in bag and close tight. I would recommend putting the bag or bags in a dish so it doesn’t leak in the fridge.
- Allow to marinate for 2-4 hrs.
- When you are ready to cook place the fish on the planks and on the grill over low heat and cook until just firm to the touch or desired doneness.
- If you have an instant read thermometer about 120-125 degrees for a rarer salmon and up to 145 for more well done. But trust me when I say this fish is so good you don’t want to over cook it!
Disclosure: Pure Food Fish Market sent us this amazing crab for free. All opinions are my own.